It’s the most wonderful time of the yearrrr!
I haven’t been excited for the holidays in God knows how long but it is truly something magical about having a toddler around the holidays. There’s 15 days left until Christmas and I am pushing through all my grief, anxiety, and overall “cold weather” blues and aiming to give my baby a great Christmas while giving y’all some great content! First up, we have some sensory play ’cause y’all know how I get down!
I believe that playing is the key to life and since we have all our senses, we might as well use them. Chaotic Cutie- formerly known as Bean- is really into making messes and playing with her hands (albeit she hates being dirty ???) so we made some “Gingerbread Dough”! You can jump to the recipe or watch us make it over on Youtube.
C.C. had SUCH a blast helping me make this, then playing with it and I had so much fun watching her flex her independence. My mom and grandma have almost always had her in the kitchen with them and it is truly one of our favorite bonding activities. She provides sooo many laughs and moments of calmness while chaotically mixing and stirring ingredients; every kitchen should have space for a kid. This was our first holiday themed activity and it was so worth the dough that got in her hair, alphabet rug, and all on our skin!
- Flour 1 cup
- Salt 1/2 cup
- Ginger (or Nutmeg, lol) 1/2 tbsp
- Cinnamon 1/2 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil 1 tbsp
- Water 1/2 cup
- Mix all of your dry ingredients in a plastic or metal bowl. I let C.C. use a whisk but a regular mixing spoon will do.
- Slowly add in your vegetable oil and water. Let your child help you stir and watch the dough clump together.
- Sprinkle a sheet of foil, parchment paper, or your counter with some flour and spread the dough around.
- Let your child help you knead the dough until it is a playable consistency.
- Play and enjoy the gingerbread smell!
If you make some “Gingerbread Dough”, tag me on Instagram @THEHOTYOUNGMOM & show me what you and your baby made! Enjoy!